Yet again this is another pasta dish! I’m sorry guys but I love past and its fun to make!
This time I decided to use aubergine in the sauce and it was so good!! Well I had leftover roast aubergine and courgette so I threw them in with some other bits to make the sauce and it was so good.
- appx. 200g of firm tofu
- 1 red/white onion
- 1 roast Aubergine
- 1 roasted or steamed courgette
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 cup cooked cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- Herbs/spices eg, paprika, garlic granules, cayenne papper and some salt and peper to taste
- Cut aubergine into slices and season with salt and pepper, put into the oven for 15-20 mins on a high heat. Doing the same with the courgette/zucchini if desire
- While that is cooking put your pasta into a saucepan and put on the heat,
- Chop onions and add to a frying pan with a little water so they don’t burn, I didn’t use any oil in this dish I just used water
- wait until the onions are softened just a bit and cut tofu into chunks and add to the onions in the pan.
- cook the cauliflower, I use microwave bags and they take no time, but you could cook in a pot with water until soft.
- after about ten mins you should add the spices to the tofu and onions and add a little water to make sure they don’t over cook.
- when the cauliflower, courgette and aubergine is cooked add to a blender with the non-dairy milk, nutritional yeast and ½ teaspoon of garlic granules and paprika, blending until smooth.
- Drain the pasta, put on a plate, top with sauce and then the tofu chunks and serve.
Let me know if you try it ! 🙂 xx
So for this sauce I used a cauliflower sauce, It’s so much like cheese and it’s so light, the main thing I hated when I wasn’t vegan was how heavy pasta bake cheese sauce was. Some vegan recipe tests later I found this online so I just made my own changes to it and came up with this.
I first cooked the cauliflower, I used microwavable bags that are so handy, but you could use a steamer or whatever way you prefer to cook. I used frozen chunks, but you could use fresh cauliflower too, it would probably be nicer!
for the sauce:
•A medium cauliflower
•1 cup of soy milk
•4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
•½ tablespoon of garlic powder
•¼ tablespoon of paprika
•½ tablespoon of onion powder or 3 tablespoon of caramelized onion
•I added parsley but it’s optional
For the rest:
•I used one packet of spaghetti (appx. 1kg)
•200g of firm tofu or 1 packet of vegan quorn fillets
•2 large white onions
•optional- vegan cheese to top
small amounts of the following(A pinch), paprika, garlic powder/granules,mixed herbs, cayenne papper, gravy granules.
- cook the cauliflower, meanwhile fry onions in a little water until softened
- Add tofu chunks or quorn chicken to the onions along with spices and gravy granules, add in a little water to make a thick-ish sauce and add in soy sauce.
- Cook pasta on a high heat with a little salt
- When pasta is ready, drain and add into a large baking dish
- To make the cheese sauce: Add the soy milk first in the blender so it ill blend easily, Add in the cauliflower, then the spices and the nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir so all the pasta is covered
- Then add the tofu/chicken on top and stir in a little bit, grate cheese on top of it
- Will take about 15 in the oven for the cheese to melt (for reference I used Violife pizza cheese)
This can also be made with a difference sauce, for example a butternut squash cheese sauce which i’ve previously posted.
Let me know if you try this 🙂 xx
So one thing I noticed when going vegan was that all the pesto sauce that I could get my eyes on had heaps of un-vegan things in there (eggs and milk). I was so gutted because I love pesto and was a huge part of my diet before taking the jump so I jumped on the chance of making my own!
So the amount of basil leaves is to your tasting, I used a medium handful so around a ¼ cup.
- Basil leaves ( I have some sweet Italian basil growing at home but you could buy some fresh or preserved basil in a tube if its available to you).
- Grape seed oil
- ½ teaspoon of garlic granuals
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of cashews of pine nuts
- 2 teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
This would be good just with pasta or with what ever you want.
I just thought it would be nice as a pasta salad, so I just cooked pasta and then added in some chopped peppers, cucumber, sweetcorn and spring (green) onion.
Let me know if you try this sauce!
thanks for reading 🙂 xx