So for this sauce I used a cauliflower sauce, It’s so much like cheese and it’s so light, the main thing I hated when I wasn’t vegan was how heavy pasta bake cheese sauce was. Some vegan recipe tests later I found this online so I just made my own changes to it and came up with this.
I first cooked the cauliflower, I used microwavable bags that are so handy, but you could use a steamer or whatever way you prefer to cook. I used frozen chunks, but you could use fresh cauliflower too, it would probably be nicer!
for the sauce:
•A medium cauliflower
•1 cup of soy milk
•4 tablespoons of nutritional yeast
•½ tablespoon of garlic powder
•¼ tablespoon of paprika
•½ tablespoon of onion powder or 3 tablespoon of caramelized onion
•I added parsley but it’s optional
For the rest:
•I used one packet of spaghetti (appx. 1kg)
•200g of firm tofu or 1 packet of vegan quorn fillets
•2 large white onions
•optional- vegan cheese to top
small amounts of the following(A pinch), paprika, garlic powder/granules,mixed herbs, cayenne papper, gravy granules.
- cook the cauliflower, meanwhile fry onions in a little water until softened
- Add tofu chunks or quorn chicken to the onions along with spices and gravy granules, add in a little water to make a thick-ish sauce and add in soy sauce.
- Cook pasta on a high heat with a little salt
- When pasta is ready, drain and add into a large baking dish
- To make the cheese sauce: Add the soy milk first in the blender so it ill blend easily, Add in the cauliflower, then the spices and the nutritional yeast and blend until smooth.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and stir so all the pasta is covered
- Then add the tofu/chicken on top and stir in a little bit, grate cheese on top of it
- Will take about 15 in the oven for the cheese to melt (for reference I used Violife pizza cheese)
This can also be made with a difference sauce, for example a butternut squash cheese sauce which i’ve previously posted.
Let me know if you try this 🙂 xx